Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Vision of God

I was sitting on my front porch on Sunday for about an hour just staring at the maple tree in my front yard. The tree has a beautiful red/orange glow...especially when the sun shines on it.  If we believe that God is revealed through his creation, then I think God was in that red/orange glow.  I was completely captured by the beauty of the tree.  As I sat there I thought of the beatific vision.  Our faith tells us that in heaven we will be able to see God...we will be given the gift of the beatific vision.   We will behold the awesome beauty of God.  I think that the maple tree is a taste, in a very small way of what that experience will be like. 
But you know it's easy to miss these glimpses of the beatific vision.  I find I have to slow down and look or I miss the ways that God's revelation is present as I walk through life.  The smile of a friend, people gathered in prayer and song, a beautiful sunset, my grandson's laugh are all ways God is breaking through.   Lord help me to slow down and know your presence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment